From time to time I’ll be adding to a list of books I would recommend. For some of them there will be a link where you can order them from worldchristian.com. This list will continue to grow so keep checking back in!
- History of Christianity in Asia, Vol. 1 up to 1500 by Samuel Hugh Moffett. http://www.worldchristian.com/productdetails.php?product_id=32900
Vol. 1 is the most complete resource for the history of Christianity in Asia that I know of, particularly before 1500. Vol. 2 below covers the period of 1500-present also packed with tremendous information.
2. History of Christianity in Asia, Vol. 2 1500 up to present by Samuel Hugh Moffett thttp://www.worldchristian.com/productdetails.php?product_id=34801
3. The Lost History of Christianity by Philip Jenkins
Though broader and more general than a focus on the history of Christianity in Asia, this is a fascinating look at the Church of the East as well as the disappearance of Christianity in North Africa and Japan.
4. The Hidden History of Christianity in Asia by John C. England http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-History-Christianity-Asia-Churches/dp/8172142420/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440475821&sr=1-2&keywords=The+Hidden+history+of+christianity+in+asia
This is an excellent one volume overview of the history of the Church of the East in Asia. Especially also notes the importance of missionary monasticism to the Church of the East in Asia. Has good material also on where resources are available for the study of Church of the East history.
5. Christianity in India by Robert Frykenberg
6. Constants in Context by Stephen B. Bevin and Roger P. Schroeder http://www.worldchristian.com/searchproducts.php?keyword=Constants%20in%20Context
7. From Every Tribe and Nation by Mark Noll
8. From the Holy Mountain by William Dalrymple
Also featured in a blog post, this is a wonderful book that opens the reader’s eyes to a world of the past while traveling through the landscapes of the present. Highly recommend all of Dalrymple’s writings, whether his earlier travel narratives or his more recent works of history.
9.The Church of the East: An Illustrated History of Assyrian Christianity by Christopher Baumer http://www.amazon.com/Church-East-Illustrated-Assyrian-Christianity/dp/184511115X/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1443138135&sr=8-16&keywords=The+Church+of+the+East
10. By Foot to China by John L. Young A very readable shorter work on the Church of the East in China. amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss
11. The Jesus Sutras by Martin Palmer Excellent read on the Church of the East in China and Palmer’s own journey to find the Da Qin Pagoda. Will provoke you to questions related to contextualization of the Gospel into other cultures, in this case Taoism and Buddhism. Worth reading and grappling with!